Theodore Centennial Celebrations


Luckily for visitors, Theodore Centennial Celebrations are scheduled over 4 years, beginning in  2021 through to 2024!  The riverside town will celebrate with community events, regular snippets of history as told by locals, sporting events and a number of re-enactments, including a re-enactment of the Vice Regal Tour of 1922, when the Governor came to the district.


2021 Centennial Celebration Event:
Dawson River Festival – Our First Nations Heritage
Thursday 7 October to Sunday 10 October 2021
Incorporating an Art Show, Hooked on Theodore Fishing Competition, Fun Run, Eat Street and entertainment
Click on this link to view the full program of events: Theodore River Festival Flyer 7-10 October 2021

2022 Centennial Celebration Event: 
Vice-Regal Visit re-enactment.
Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 May 2022
2023 Centennial Celebration Event:
details TBA
2024 Centennial Celebration Event:
Lighting up the Town
Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 June 2024
Please check this page for updates as they become available.


Someone once wrote about their personal family history: “To know one’s personal history is to see oneself in perspective as a link between the past and the future in an ancestral chain.”
Similarly, to know the history of our district and its community, gives a richness and meaning to our life, in allowing us to see ourselves as mere custodians of the land upon which we live. The land has a past, and it has a future.
To that end, the following series of posts, entitled “Our town; our history” attempts to provide that background history to those of us who have drunk the waters of the Dawson, and will always nostalgically call the Theodore district “home”.
May this resource be the catalyst for a thirst for knowledge, and allow us all to embrace our full history and our heritage, and take pride in our unique, resilient, inclusive community.


1883 Map showing the 8 runs which made up Walloon Station: Woolthorpe; Hope; Castle Creek; Thalaba East; The Dorest; Thalaba; Belmont and North Branch.

By 1878, all of the Walloon runs were under the control of the Commercial Banking Company. To date, we have not been able to establish why Woolthorpe township is beyond the boundaries of Woolthorpe station.

To view the details of above image on a PC, right click over image,

choose ‘Open Image in New Tab’ then click on new tab.

Click on 3 dots (top right hand corner) to bring down menu,

click on + sign beside ‘Zoom’ to increase size.


Map showing Woolthorpe township, situated where the road to Rockhampton and Taroom crossed the Dawson River. Today the crossing is known as Iron Gate crossing. and the remnants of the road known as the Flagstaff Road. The Woolthorpe Hotel, established in 1857, attracted some colourful characters. An interesting collection of artefacts collected from the site, can be seen at Theodore’s Dawson Folk Museum, where you can read more about this fascinating township.


In 1874, Mr A.P. Barton purchased the 8 runs that comprised Walloon. However, within 10 years, the Crown Lands Act of 1884, resulted in many of the runs, including those south of Castle Creek being classified as Grazing Farms and able to be resumed by the Govt. when required. The Woolthorpe run was divided into Portions 5v and 6v Parish of Walloon, and resumed in 1892. Both were to be made available for lease as Grazing Farms, namely GF8 and GF102 respectively…. an integral part of our town’s history. (Document from Queensland State Archives Item ID: 2388696)



Having received his Certificate of Fulfilment, W.G. Woolrych became the official leasee of 5v GF 8 just prior to Christmas 1895.  Within 2 months, he had lodged an application to ringbark 1000 acres of timber on the property. However, permission was not granted until 1899.   In February 1901 Mr Woolrych applied to ringbark a further 1000 acres, and permission was granted within a month. The accompanying map gives some perspective to the area within Portion 5v – Woolrych’s GF8.


It was William Gerald Woolrych, a young Englishman who eventually leased Portion 5v (Grazing Farm No 8). Under the “Crown Lands Act of 1884”, in order to secure the lease, Woolrych had to fulfil certain conditions, which included building a residence, and fencing the boundary of the property. In August 1895, Woolrych wrote to the Lands Commissioner applying for a Certificate of Fulfilment, thereby entitling him to the Lease.  Note that the letter is written from “Bauhinia Plains”, the name he had chosen to give to this property. (Document from Queensland State Archives Item ID: 2388696)

Please visit this page again for more ‘OUR TOWN, OUR HISTORY’ updates.

For all Our Town, Our History posts, please visit:


Share on Social Media