23.35 km (DRY weather only)
approx. 1-2 hours (depending on stops)
Download self drive itinerary with map
• Start outside the Theodore Post Office. (GPS -24.946319, 150.075764)
• Head north along The Boulevard and turn left onto Eighth Avenue, then right onto Dawson Avenue.
• Cross the Leichhardt Way to Malakoff Road, keeping the Theodore Showgrounds and water treatment plant on your right. (GPS -24.935889, 150.072135)
• Continue along Malakoff Road approximately 1 km before coming to Lonesome Creek. Take caution on the approach and exit to Lonesome Creek.
• Follow Malakoff Road approximately 1 km and follow it around a right-hand bend. (GPS -24.932535, 150.056495)
• Another 3.3 km along Malakoff Road you will come to a small pull-off area on your right at Malakoff Lookout. (GPS -24.903036, 150.051680) Grab the camera and enjoy the view. Why not pack a picnic to enjoy while you’re here.
• On the approach to the Theodore-Moura Road intersection, you will see the old Lonesome Creek Saleyards on your left. (GPS -24.860946, 150.063011)
• Turn right onto Theodore-Moura Road, follow for about 200 m and then turn left onto the dirt track just before the bridge. (GPS -24.860810, 150.065975) Follow the short track down to the Creekside. There are photographic opportunities here at the waterhole and old bridge.
• Return to the main road and turn left, continuing back to Theodore. (GPS -24.883468, 150.093599)
• Turn right at the Leichhardt Way intersection and follow back into Theodore.